Posted by Mark Dore in Thoughts about things
on May 21st, 2012 | 0 comments
Guys, guys, guys. A year it’s been, more or less. I booted this thing up last summer and we’re three weeks from the end of the school year. I didn’t post, at all.
Here’s what went wrong:
- I didn’t know what a successful, enduring blog looks like. The ones who do it right, those guys aren’t posting daily; they go days and weeks without new content. I didn’t know that was even an option. I was working under the assumption that unless I can devote the time to this site, there was little point in even attempting. All or nothing. That kind of model doesn’t fit with the schedule of an involved, procrastinating college student.
- I bit off more than I could chew, in more ways than just the regularity of content. I wanted a personal blog; a showcase for my own writing; a book, film and TV review platform; a sports network; and a sounding board for just about any opinion I had. That’s too much. Well-executed blogs have a focus, and I didn’t.
- I have a deep and abiding respect for goals and the pursuit involved. I write down goals all the time and I work towards them. Right now, above my head on my hanging corkboard, there is a list of short and long term goals I wrote down a few weeks ago. There are some post-it notes with little addendums or additional goals. So when I made the “20/20 Project,” that wasn’t a stunt. I made efforts towards these things, accomplished more than a handful. But things change. I got involved in some things on campus that I didn’t plan on, and I developed new interests and new habits. I won’t have finished all 20 of those goals by July. In absolutely no way do I consider this a failure. Got a bunch of them, though: met my book, movie and word count goals; researched my genealogy (rather, Brent did); committed to a church home in College Station; beat a lot of people at ping-pong; maintained my 4.0 GPA.
The year is almost over, and we’re going to do this thing over the Summer. This time, though, this time will be different. Here’s what will be new:
- The site will be streamlined. I’ll be blogging about writing and entertainment. This means reviews- mostly books and some movies- and writing. That’s the focus. I reserve the right to spout any and all nonsense your way and will frequently abuse this privilege. But at the end of the day, that’s what this is about.
- There will be many, many more writing-related posts. My thoughts about the process of growing as a young aspiring writer and other things of that nature as well as frequent excerpts from my own stuff. I’ve been producing at a much higher rate than I used to, and my plan is to slap some of that up here for your reading pleasure, with the hope of feedback.
- At almost no point will you see daily content, with the possible exception of a few weeks over the summer.
- You will, however, find content throughout the course of the school year, something I wasn’t able to do this past year. I think I have some new habits, a little bit of new perspective, and a fresh discipline I didn’t have before.
Until next time.
And there will be a next time.